Valentine’s Day is right around the corner!
Over the past few days, I’ve shared a few of my favorite V-Day themed interventions. In today’s blog post, I’d like to share the V-Day session plan I created for my tween and teen sessions.
2. Instrument Playing to “Love Story” by Taylor Swift
* (a favorite of this group)
4. Social Skills Hearts (see picture above)
– Cut out medium size hearts on pink and red paper
– On each heart, paste a different social skills question. (Check out Tuneful Teens: Creative Ideas for Engaging Adolescents in Music Therapy for the template!)
– On the day of the session, place all the hearts inside a tambourine. Play “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars or “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” by Randy Newman (you know, the one from Toy Story) as you pass around the heart-filled tambourine. When the music stops, the person holding it must take out a heart, read the question aloud, and answer it.
– Continue until each group member has a chance to answer a question. Encourage the group to sing along with you!
5. Relaxation with scarves to “All You Need is Love” by the Beatles
This was a fun session to lead because it generated all kinds of ideas from the group about love and friendship. What are YOUR favorite Valentine’s Day themed activities?
Looking for more inspiration for your adolescent groups? You’ll want to check out this resource ~ Tuneful Teens: Creative Ideas for Engaging Adolescents in Music Therapy