The Miami Music Therapists have been very active lately. We’ve jammed together, sung at Open Mic Night, and swapped songs and resources. Last Friday, we had another get-together: we gathered as a book club to discuss the very popular “Sing You Home” by Jodi Picoult. This was a great opportunity for us to discuss our thoughts on the book and our opinions of the depictions of music therapy that are presented. Overall, I thought the book was captivating and found myself unable to put it down. I think it represented our profession well and gave a clear picture of the scope of music therapy.
Spending time with the Miami Music Therapist group has benefited each of us on multiple levels. Even if our get-togethers are not directly related to music therapy (pizza anyone?), we are still building and strengthening our relationships. This in turn benefits us professionally:
- We share resources and ideas with each other
- We can pass a contract on or refer a potential client if we are unable to take them on
- We encourage each other to grow musically
- We attend trainings and conferences together
- We share success stories…and seek professional advice when we have challenges
Have you reached out to other music therapists in your area? Go ahead – I promise you it will be worth it!